Friday, August 31, 2007

The Learning!

Hi Again

It has been a week of a steep learning! This weeks buzz word is RSS - Really simple syndication. I worked out what it means and have done plenty of reading, but what does an RSS look like, what does it do and why should I use one? I must admit that I thought it was a communications system similar to IM (instant messaging) but it is much more!



Following the RSS tutorial helped the penny drop and I had that 'eureka' moment. RSS is much more - the ability to subscribe to websites, blogs etc of any particular subject or topic and then have instant access and display of the top posts for the day. How cool! I can keep upto date with the latest info, news, events and discussions that occur on a global level for free and from my home or work pc. The next part is a bit tricky - which RSS links to choose, what information do I want to access, is the information relevant and accurate in content and the steps I need to do to link the RSS list onto this blog.

The second part of my learning has been through helping another blogger inserting graphics into a blog. It is so easy and I only wish that frontpage had the same format (which is why I use coffee cup for my web pages www.violablue.com.au!) I'll include some happy snaps at a later date but thought to display two types of Nixies (just in case you were wondering what one is!) Nixie Clock developed in 1952 ("Numeric Indicator eXperimental No. 1" - very retro and coming back into fashion) . Have a great day and enjoy - Purplenixiegirl

2 comments:

eyesee said...

Photo's...great. Now I'll have to have a go putting some on my blog, plus as you mention get the RSS feeds linked to the blog rather than having to go into another place to see the recent postings...

ELLE said...

I am a very visual person, so I love the photos. RSS is a great invention, but I agree you do ned to be selective...
ELLE